Inphi Announces Porrima Gen2 Single-Lambda PAM4 Platform for Hyperscale Data Center and Cloud Networks
Source: Nasdaq GlobeNewswire / 11 Feb 2019 13:01:04 Europe/London
SANTA CLARA, Calif., Feb. 11, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Inphi Corporation (NYSE: IPHI), a leader in high-speed data movement interconnects, today announced its Porrima™ Gen2 Single-Lambda Pulse Amplitude Modulation (PAM4) platform with integrated laser drivers that reduces optical module Bill of Material (BOM) cost and enables sub-10 watt 400Gbps QSFP-DD optical transceiver modules for wired network infrastructure – including hyperscale cloud data center, service provider and enterprise networks.
The new Porrima Gen2 platform, based on the successful and field proven Porrima chipset, enables client optics module deployment for both 400Gbps and 4x100Gbps applications with breakout mode support. Porrima Gen2 DSP also has an integrated laser driver with direct-drive capability, which reduces the total cost of ownership and module power consumption. Inphi already announced Porrima Gen1 platform at OFC 2018, which has been the industry’s leading platform with proven performance that includes PAM4 DSP, Linear TIA and Driver. Leveraging six generations of DSP development, Inphi has developed optical platform expertise and an API-based DSP software suite that achieves quick time-to-market with the right trade-offs in power and performance for data center optical interconnects.
“InnoLight currently offers 100G single lambda DR, FR and LR and multiple 4x100G optical solutions to accelerate the 100G per lambda migration. Inphi’s Porrima Gen2 is the key driver for our successful delivery of these solutions. We are very appreciative of Inphi’s time to market and leading-edge technology to enable the 100G per lambda module platform,” said Osa Mok, Chief Marketing Officer of InnoLight Technology.
“Inphi’s excited to launch the Porrima Gen2 platform with integrated complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor (CMOS) driver capability for hyperscale data center and cloud networks,” said Siddharth Sheth, SVP, Networking Interconnect at Inphi. “Absorbing driver functionality into the DSP saves our customers BOM cost and power for their 400G DR4 and FR4 solutions, as we prepare for the upcoming 12.8T ecosystem production ramp.”
“The development of 400G modules is especially challenging and market demand is such that both power consumption and cost have gating thresholds that must be met for volume deployment,” said Dale Murray, Principal Analyst for LightCounting Market Research. “By integrating the laser driver into their Gen2 Porrima DSP chip, Inphi has not only simplified module development but now offers meaningful module power reduction as well.”
Key attributes and benefits of the new 400Gbps Porrima Gen2 PAM4 platform:
- Low power consumption for next generation module applications, enabling <10W DR4/FR4 optical modules per IEEE standards and MSA
- Integrated 56GBaud laser driver with direct-drive capability
- Enables DR1/FR1 optical modules for legacy 3.2/6.4T switches while offering an upgrade path for 12.8T switches
- Field proven error-free interoperability on the host interface with merchant ASICs and ASSPs
- Optimally designed DSP and TIA receive chain for power-performance trade-offs
- Enables customers to develop a 400Gbps / 4x100Gbps optical interconnects in a compact form factor for applications with up to 10km
- Supporting IN566x Linear TIA provides packaging flexibility for excellent linearity, high bandwidth, adjustable gain to optimize the PAM4 system performances and wide dynamic range to meet the different performance and link requirements for optical applications
- Implemented in small form factor and power efficiency on proven, high-volume 16nm process technology node, ensuring fastest time to production
Porrima Gen2 product family:
Porrima PAM4 DSP IC provides a full bi-directional interface with host ASICs that have 28GBaud PAM4and NRZ electrical interfaces while bridging to 56GBaud optics with breakout support. The product family can support PAM4 or NRZ signaling, and both Retiming and Gearbox functionality with packaging specifically designed for the following optics modules:
- Porrima 400G – 8x56Gbps PAM4 <-> 4x100Gbps PAM4 for QSFP-DD/oSFP
- Porrima 100G – 4x25Gbps NRZ <-> 1x100Gbps PAM4 for QSFP
- Porrima 100G – 2x50Gbps PAM4 <-> 1x100Gbps PAM4 for QSFP/uQSFP/SFP-DD
Additional Porrima technical features include:
- Fifth generation InphiNity™ DSP Engine with a unique mixed-mode DSP architecture for high performance, low power applications needing adaptability and configurability
- Numerous self-test and loopback modes that allow diagnostic monitoring of channel and system parameters
- Modular API software suite that covers link margin and stress testing along with data and error analytics
- Forward error correction (FEC) functionality for 100G and 400G optics are integrated
IN566x Linear TIA:
The IN5661TA/5664TA is a 56GBaud low power single/quad linear TIA for PAM4 optical modules. Features include:
- Wide dynamic range to meet the different performance and link requirements for optical applications
- Excellent signal integrity necessary for PAM4 modulation schemes
- Low-power and small form factor
Inphi is now sampling its Porrima Gen2 PAM4 platform solution to qualified customers.
Inphi Corporation is a leader in high-speed data movement interconnects. We move big data - fast, throughout the globe, between data centers, and inside data centers. Inphi's expertise in signal integrity results in reliable data delivery, at high speeds, over a variety of distances. As data volumes ramp exponentially due to video streaming, social media, cloud-based services, and wireless infrastructure, the need for speed has never been greater. That's where we come in. Customers rely on Inphi's solutions to develop and build out the Service Provider and Cloud infrastructures, and data centers of tomorrow. To learn more about Inphi, visit www.inphi.com.
Inphi, the Inphi logo and Think fast are registered trademarks of Inphi Corporation. All other trademarks used herein are the property of their respective owners.